Interview with Mrs. Lorena González, psychologist in the Centro Avanza Psychology, and tutor of Practicum of the University of Oviedo, who tells us about the game of self-knowledge
-What is the game of self-knowledge and how does it arise?
The game of self-knowledge was born as a way to get to know my patients better, and therefore their main utility is therapeutic. But it is not only that, because, soon I realized that to them, in a personal way, the game also helped them to know themselves better, to feel better and to change different attitudes that blocked their personal evolution, thus considerably improving their Self-esteem and autoconception.
The game is created from the need to know a person thoroughly. In a visual way the individual who performs the game understands, analyzes and learns to manage each and every one of their capacities and traits that make up their personality taking into account their current situation and present circumstances.
The fact of externalizing these traits helps to know and understand different forms of action, patterns of behavior and attitudes that a person presents to certain vital situations. Analyzing them one by one allows a better assimilation of virtues and defects, capacities and shortcomings, values and principles, and an endless number of aspects due to the versatility of the format.
Therefore, we can say that the game of self-knowledge is a therapeutic tool that will facilitate the work of psychologists and mental health professionals, and that can be used at different times of the therapeutic process, as in the evaluation and in the Treatment.
-For whom is the game of self-knowledge aimed?
The self-knowledge game is aimed at mental health professionals and would fit in any type of therapy where the intrinsic knowledge of a person is fundamental. It is also a technique that can be used in any other personal, social, business, etc.
Among its many applications, the game of self-knowledge can be used in different fields of psychology, such as: learning about oneself, a social learning in terms of knowing more exhaustively to other people, learning Clinical as a technique in conventional psychotherapy, a method of selection of personnel as a way to know explicitly the candidates for the vacancy, introduce it as an activity in workshops of self-esteem, motivational or organizational, as well Like any other utility, method, or process that requires detailed knowledge of a person's identity.
-What benefits does the game of self-knowledge offer?
One of the great advantages of this game is that you get to know the person in detail, through different questions will be made a pretty true and real image of the generic behavior of the person within a particular problem or in his life In general.
For the person who performs the game brings a benefit to really discover what it is, and often not as believed it was, which is a major change in self-esteem. It also provokes a reaction in that it sees probable or necessary to change certain attitudes that are harming him to a situation or person.
The game is very useful in the field of psychology, because it proposes to achieve the following beneficial objectives for patient and therapist:
• Identification of the traits that make up the personality of an individual.
• Reflection on traits, capacities, attitudes, beliefs and personal values.
• Therapeutic evaluation of the personality traits and behavior of a patient.
• Promotes diagnosis and proposes treatment guidelines, through traits to improve, modify or eliminate.
• Obtaining a global vision of a person's identity.
• Elaboration of action plans for the acquisition, increase and/or suppression of certain traits, attitudes and beliefs.
• Knowledge, on the part of the person applying the game, of the identity traits, behaviour and personality of the player.
• Increased empathy and understanding, being able to improve relationships with people in the environment, enhancing understanding and interpersonal communication.
• Knowledge of the emotions, the actions that provoke them and how to manage them.
• Increase of self-esteem, valuation of the own capacities and improvement of the personal security.
• Thorough knowledge of the traits or attitudes that cause a particular problem.
• Enhancing the traits considered strong and improving the traits considered weak.
• Promotes the exploration of professional paths according to the untapped capacities.
• Elimination of fears and barriers, after proving that the traits and resources needed to face a certain situation are available.
• Planning actions by setting up certain traits that the person already possesses.
Besides all these, there are many more possibilities of learning and evolution thanks to the game of self-knowledge.
-Is there any age or development requirement in the game?
Yes, a suitable age range is established to apply this technique to people older than 14 years. Although children of 12 and 13 years have been made with good results. To be able to apply the game, it is important to keep in mind that the person you apply to must have a marked profile of your personality. In children younger than that age, they may not understand certain concepts or do not know how to define themselves properly.
The only requirement for the correct development of the technique is to know it in depth and handle it with dexterity.
Recommended Video: The self-knowledge game
-What is the theoretical basis behind the game of self-knowledge?
Self-knowledge has been a widely studied concept, from philosophy, Socrates was already convinced that truth is inside each person. The most famous phrase of this philosopher was "thyself yourself" that summarizes his thought, and said that if we get to know ourselves we could come to know the nature or origin of both virtue and vice, ie, good and bad. He also postulated that self-knowledge helped to achieve the strength of character, self-control, justice in order to be well with the people of the environment and piety towards the gods of that time.
Carl Rogers was another scholar of the individual himself, developing the self-centered theory of personality, in which he conceives the human being as a rational being, with the best possible knowledge about himself and his reactions. In this theory proposes self-knowledge as the basis of personality and each person as being individual and unique.
Finally, we take as reference the emotional intelligence, of Golemn and Weisinger, which describes the self-knowledge as the first aptitude that a human being must possess. It is said that if you get to know yourself well, to be aware of your strengths and weaknesses, if you learn to identify your moods and the consequences of your actions, it will be easier for you to be able to control your reactions and use them to your advantage. In addition, you will be able to better understand the behavior of those around you, identify your feelings and emotions and act effectively in your interpersonal relationships.
In addition to these, there are many other theories that share the view that self-knowledge is the basis for the correct development of behavior, self-control and emotional management, personal evolution and improvement in the quality of life of people in general .
-Which parts make up the game of self-knowledge?
The game of self-knowledge consists of:
• A deck of 144 cards that represent positive traits (green), negative (red), neutral (yellow), and white (blue) colors. Each card represents a single word on the obverse and an indication on the back to reflect on the meaning of the person.
• Two boards where each label should be placed as appropriate, depending on the word extracted and representing the current time defining the person who are you? and a projection of your ideal self who do you want to be?
• An instruction book with an explanation of the technique and resources for its correct use. It includes three tables in which all the words contained in the cards differentiated by their Valencia appear and in which they include instructions, indications or questions that invite to the reflection and analysis of each adjective present in the cards.
The game of self-knowledge is born under the mantra "thyself, Accept, Valórate". Through the dynamics of the game itself is fulfilled to the first of the premises thyself, and to try to make learning about oneself as wide as possible, has developed a dossier with activities complementary to the self-knowledge game.
In addition, as a way to complete the three previous premises, the game of self-knowledge is added two other dossiers that favor the acceptance and appreciation of the personal traits and attitudes that the person has identified during the game of Self. The Triology "thyself, Accept, Valórate" is complementary to the game but at the same time independent, that is to say, can be performed together or separately, and consists of:
1. Dossier thyself: The first dossier explains the concept of personal self-knowledge. It proposes activities that invite to the reflection on different aspects that include some like to identify the successes and failures achieved, the criticisms and praises received, knowledge about the way of acting of each person in different moments of life, between Other.
2. Dossier accept: In this dossier it is sought that the person accepts his own personality traits, either positive or negative, in this way he will be able to work and/or enhance them. Activities are proposed to know their own values and beliefs, analyze the cognitive filters that produce the result behavior and work in identification, acceptance and management of emotions, among others.
3. Dossier Valórate: In this last dossier is intended to ensure that the person is valued for what it is, its inner self and its traits that define it. The proposed activities are assertiveness, reflections on the development of the person throughout his life cycle, realizing what is truly important in his or her lifetime, and valuing relationships among others.
-How is a session with the game of self-knowledge?
A session of the game of self-knowledge is developed in approximately 90 minutes. The person who is applied to the game is extracting one by one the cards contained and is invited to the reflection through issues that the therapist performs strategically to get the patient to analyze their way of being, acting and personality.
At the end of the game, you get a global view of the traits that make up the identity of the individual. It is also time to develop a plan of action to eliminate, improve or modify certain patterns of behaviour and attitudes that have been reflected in the development of the technique.
Either way, the result is that the person feels that it is known better, and from this point it is easier to get the acceptance and the valuation of oneself. Like change and personal evolution.
From here my thanks to Mrs. Lorena González, psychologist in the center Avanza Psychology, and tutor practicum of the University of Oviedo, for having approached the game of self-knowledge
Doctor of Psychology, Master in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology, Clinical Hypnosis Specialist. Recognized by the International Biographical Center (Cambridge – UK) as one of the top one hundred health professionals in the world in 2010. He also teaches in various national and international universities
Scientific disseminator participating in congresses, conferences and seminars; collaborator in various papers, digital media and radio programs; author of the blog “Advanced Open Learning in Psychology and Neuroscience, and twenty books on diverse subjects.
Currently he conducts research in the field of Big Data applications in healthcare utilizing data from India, United States and Canada, among others, work which he complements with consultancy to technological startups geared towards psychology and personal wellbeing.